What is a registered agent?
Every New York corporation is required to designate a registered agent. Every New York limited liability company (LLC) is required to designate the Secretary of State to be the agent for service of process, but may also list a registered agent.
A registered agent is an entity or individual designated to receive service of process, legal compliance documents, tax documents, and government correspondences on behalf of your business in exchange for a fee.
Who may qualify as a registered agent in New York?
A registered agent must:
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Have a physical street address in New York; and
- Be available (in person) during regular business hours.
What does a registered agent do?
A registered agent helps with corporate and regulatory compliance of your business by informing you of legal notices received, tax filings due, and communicating other official mail in a timely manner.
Registered agents further ensure business maintenance and compliance with state requirements by attending to annual report filings, tax and statement filings, and preserving copies of all corporate filings and documents.
Benefits of hiring LEAF LEGAL, P.C. for registered agent services:
The most important reason to select a cannabis-specific RA is because your state's cannabis regulations are new, changing, and ever-evolving. A cannabis-specific registered agent such as Leaf Legal, PC can keep you informed of and also explain any newly adopted or upcoming cannabis regulations. And if you're interested, you can get legal advice from one of our attorneys.
- Leaf Legal will communicate, store, and maintain all important tax and legal documents received on behalf of your cannabis business.
- Leaf Legal will be available during business hours every weekday to receive process and official communications on behalf of your business.
- Leaf Legal will have a verified physical in-state street address, if your primary address is out-of-state.
- Leaf Legal may provide additional business guidance.
- Leaf Legal's registered agent services will help you maintain your privacy as it is the Leaf Legal, P.C. address that will be listed on certain public records, rather than your personal or company addresses.
If you are interested in selecting Leaf Legal, P.C. as the Registered Agent for your cannabis business organized under the laws of New York State, contact us today.