Contact Stephanie Schuman,
Principal Counsel & Attorney-at-Law

Oregon Recreational Marijuana Licensing

Oregon Recreational Marijuana Licensing

Oregon permits adult-use (recreational use) of marijuana. The licensing process is currently open, so business entities can apply for licenses in Oregon. Before doing so, check to make sure that your city or county are not located on the OLCC opt-out list because cities and counties retain the ability to prohibit marijuana producers, processors, wholesalers, and/or retailers in their jurisdiction. Potential licensees should ensure that they are compliant with local regulations such as possessing the proper permits associated with operating their business.

The potential license types are for a producer, processor, wholesaler, laboratory, and retailer, researcher. It is important to note that there is a retail tax on recreational marijuana that is at least 17% based on the state tax rate, but it can go up 3% more based on city and county ordinances.

Applicants must make an account to submit their application. They must also pay the non-refundable $250 application fee with application submission.

 Applicants should be prepared to answer questions about the following:

  • Business details: company name, mailing address, physical address Secretary of State number.
    • Note it is not possible to obtain a license:
      • On federal property
      • At the same physical location or address as a liquor license
      • At the same location or address as a medical marijuana processing sire
      • At the same physical location or address as a medical marijuana dispensary registered with the OHA
      • In an area that is zoned exclusively for residential use (with the exception of a producer license)
  • Additionally, if you are a producer, it is not possible to be located
  • At the same physical location or address as a medical marijuana grow site registered with the OHA, unless the grow cite is also licensed under ORS 475B.080.
  • On public land
  • If you are a retailer, you may not be located within 1,000 feet of:
    • A public elementary or secondary school for which attendance is compulsory
    • A private or parochial elementary or secondary school.
  • Finding sources: legal entities and interested parties
  • Land Use Compatibility Statement (LUCS)
  • Business Operating plan
  • Floor plan of proposed facility
  • Proof of right to occupy the premises
  • Other documentation depending on license type. See OLCC forms for more info

Prior to acting on an application the OLCC:

  • Must receive a land use compatibility statement from the city or county that authorizes land use in the city or county in which the applicant's proposed premises is located.
  • Obtain all required building permits
  • Obtain all required inspections of the property and building

Contact the lawyers at Leaf Legal, P.C. for assistance with obtaining a license. 

The Truth About the Risks

Know for sure whether your business is in compliance with state and local cannabis regulations.