Retail license applicants should verify that their proposed location falls within a jurisdiction that is currently accepting applications. Here is a list of local authorities that have advised MED that they allow marijuana businesses to operate within their jurisdiction. The types of retail licenses that are available are: (1) retail marijuana store; (2) retail marijuana cultivation; (3) retail marijuana product manufacturer; (4) retail marijuana testing facility; (5) retail marijuana transporter; (6) retail marijuana operator.
To Apply for any of these Licenses:
- Entity must fill out the Retail Marijuana Business License Application Form
- An entity that wishes to apply for multiple license types must use separate application forms for each license.
- If a question does not apply to the entity, the entity must indicate so with N/A.
- Entity must include a check or money order for the non-refundable, full application fee and made payable to the Colorado Department of Revenue.
- Application must include the following signed forms (all are attached in the application)
- Affirmation & Consent (each owner)
- Investigation Authorization (each owner)
- Authorization to Release Information (each owner)
- Applicant's Request to Release Information (Leaving “To:” section blank) (each owner)
- Statement of Understanding (each owner)
- Tax Authorization and Authorization to Release Information (each owner)
- Ownership & Funding Certification
- All of the Following Requested Information Should be Attached if Applicable
- Documentation showing legal possession of the premises to be licensed
- Diagram of premises to be licensed (see page 2, question 5), include a separate security drawing
- Certificate of Good Standing from the Colorado Secretary of State's Office
- Articles of Incorporation, including amendments OR
- Articles of Organization, including amendments and operating agreement
- Trade Name Registration
- Partnership Agreement, or operating/shareholder agreements
- If corp., annual and biannual reports and meeting minutes from past 12 months
- Copies of promissory notes, security instruments, etc., (see page 2, question 6 and page 4, question 7)
- Explanation detailing the funding sources used to finance the applicant business
- List of financial institution accounts as detailed on page 4, question 8
- All applicable information requested on page 4
- Applications for Associated Keys Attached (New Owners Only)
- Must submit a DR 8520 for any person with ownership interest, including officers and directors.
- Applications and associated documents must be single-sided and on 8.5X11 inch paper. Include:
- Check or money order to local authority
- Check made payable to DOR (checks only accepted in name of the applicant, owner(s) or business entity which has an ownership interest in the applicant/licensee).
- 2 complete applications with all attachments, (including any NEW AK applications) for EACH license applying for. (One original and one copy of each license application including the AK application(s))
- The entity can either have the application materials delivered or drop them off at the Marijuana Enforcement Division, 1707 Cole Blvd., Suite 300, Lakewood Colorado, 80401 between 8:00 AM and 11:00 AM or between 1:00 PM and 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
- Fingerprinting is required of all owners and investors
- Applicants must also apply for the appropriate state tax license or the type of business they plan to operate
Contact the attorneys at Leaf Legal, P.C. for help obtaining a Colorado license.