Maryland is accepting applications from Growers interested in participating in the Maryland Industrial Hemp Research Pilot Program on a rolling basis. Hemp can only be grown as part of a research project and not for general commercial activity. Those who obtain a license may then process, market, and transport the industrial hemp. Maryland does not currently limit the number of acres for growers or the number of applications under the pilot program.
How to Apply:
- Fill out the Industrial Hemp Site Registration Application.
- Obtain an FBI or state of Maryland criminal history check.
- Include maps (including the name, address, GPS coordinates)
- Registration fee of $250.00 payable to: The Maryland Department of Agriculture
- Mail all documents (application, criminal history check, maps, and fee) to:Turf & Seed Section, Maryland Department of Agriculture, 50 Harry S Truman Parkway Annapolis, Maryland 21401
When will my license expire?
Your license will expire at the end of the calendar year.
Is there a resident requirement to apply for a license?
No, there is no resident requirement to obtain an industrial hemp license. However, your partnering educational institution must be located in Maryland.
How can I renew my license?
The license renewal process is currently unestablished because Maryland is expecting a shift in how to obtain a license at the end of this calendar year. Current licenses expire at the end of the 2019 calendar year.
If you are seeking to establish or maintain a hemp business in Maryland, Contact the attorneys at Leaf Legal, P.C. to help navigate the licensing process and the upcoming shift in licensing practices.