Contact Stephanie Schuman,
Principal Counsel & Attorney-at-Law


Retail, Distribution, Microbusiness, Testing Laboratory, or Cannabis Event Coordinator License

In California, an entity can apply to obtain a Retail, Distribution, Microbusiness, Testing Laboratory, or Cannabis Event Organizer License. Through the online application process, the entity also indicates whether it is applying for an Adult-Use or Medicinal License.

  1. Create an account and fill out an online application
    1. If the entity wishes to obtain an annual, renewable license, it should check the “no” box when asked if it is requesting a temporary license
  2. Each owner will be required to create an individual profile and provide the following information:
    1. Basic information: name, SSN or ITIN, DOB, mailing address, email address, phone number

    2. Disclosure of criminal convictions and any evidence of rehabilitation

    3. Live Scan – upload completed Form BCIA 8016 and enter fingerprint date/ATI number
    4. Disclosure of any ownership/financial interest in any other California cannabis business
  3. Each financial interest holder will need to provide
    1. For individuals: enter the person's name and driver's license number 
    2. For businesses: enter the business's name and federal EIN number
  4. The entity must provide the following business information:
    1. Legal business name and trade name/DBA, if any
    2. Federal EIN or, if a sole proprietor, your SSN
    3. Business structure (ex: corporation, LLC, sole proprietor, etc.)
    4. Business mailing address
    5. Primary contact information
    6. Seller's permit number
  5. The entity must include the following information about each premises:
    1. Basic Information: physical address of the premises, number of employees at this location and date operations began (if currently operational)
    2. On-site contact person and optional alternate contact with phone number and email address
    3. Operational activities: types of activities conducted (extraction, infusion, packaging and labeling); solvents that will

      be used, if any; types of products and a product list

    4. Anticipated gross annual revenue from products manufactured on the premises

  6. The entity should also have the following documents ready to upload:
    1. Business formation documents and all documents filed with the California Secretary of State such as articles of incorporation, articles of organization, bylaws, operating/partnership agreements, fictitious business name statements, certificate of trust, certificates of limited liability partnership, statements of partnership authority, certificate of status
    2. Proof of $5000 surety bond
    3. Written statement, signed by the property owner, allowing cannabis manufacturing on the property
    4. Premises diagram that is to scale, identifies the proposed premises, and describes all property uses/features outlined in §40105 of the CDPH regulations
    5. For extractions using CO2, a volatile solvent, chlorofluorocarbon, hydrocarbon or other florinated gas: closed-loop system certification and evidence of approval by the local fire code official
    6. For ethanol extraction: evidence of approval by the local fire code official
    7. Descriptions or standard operating procedures (SOPs) for: inventory control, quality control, transportation process, security, and cannabis waste management
    8. Evidence of compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA)
    9. A copy of the page of the labor peace agreement containing the signatures of the union representative and the applicant (for manufacturers with 20 or more employees)
  7. Submit the application and application fee along with required supporting documents

For help obtaining a California license, contact the attorneys at Leaf Legal, P.C. 

The Truth About the Risks

Know for sure whether your business is in compliance with state and local cannabis regulations.